Engineering Experiment Station History
The Kansas Board of Regents established the Engineering Experiment Station (EES) on March 10, 1910, according to the following mandate:
"The Engineering Experiment Station was established for the purpose of carrying on tests and research work of engineering and manufacturing value to the state of Kansas, and of collecting, preparing, and presenting technical information in a form readily available for the use of the various industries within the state. It is the intention to have all the work of this experiment station of direct importance to Kansas."
(Source: Illumination for Farm and Town Homes, Grayson B. McNair, Bulletin No. 1, Engineering Experiment Station, Kansas State Agricultural College, December 1914)
Although the EES has adapted in accordance with widespread change since 1910, much of the original mandate is reflected in the current mission of the EES:
The mission of the Engineering Experiment Station is to develop a high level of extramurally supported engineering research activity, and thereby secure, for the state of Kansas the benefits of such a program. These benefits include a state-of-the-art research infrastructure to support the research needs of industry and government in the state, the availability of research results that can be used by industry and government in the state, and the direct economic benefit of millions of dollars a year in high-technology economic activity. The Engineering Experiment Station funds initiatives that will lead to the development of major research programs with the potential for continued extramural funding. The Engineering Experiment Station provides services that make the college effective in developing funded research programs and promotes the efficient conduct of these funded research programs.
In 2013 the office adopted the name Engineering Research and Graduate Programs (ERGP) to more accurately describe current goals of the office.