Scholarships, Awards and Opportunties

College scholarships and awards

Ann and Dave Braun Student Inventor Award

Application materials due April 17.

Gattani Outstanding Graduate Student Award

Nomination form and nominee's CV due April 10.

John A. Angold Graduate Engineering Scholarship

Applications due April 10.

Robert l-Jen and Sophia Shu-Kan Jung Graduate Scholarship in Engineering

Applications due March 1.

Dr. Thomas G. Swaney Memorial Graduate Scholarship in Engineering

Applications due April 10.


Departments in the college generally provide financial support through assistantships for graduate students. These include graduate research assistantships, graduate teaching assistantships and fellowships. Responsibilities of each of these may vary by department, source and amount of funding available. Assistantships are provided for a maximum of 20 hours per week (or 0.5 FTE) and all students with these must be enrolled at K-State according to the rules of the graduate school.

For payroll purposes, a Social Security number (SSN) is required. International students must first check in with International Student and Scholar Services at K-State to get registered into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. Subsequently, students can apply for an SSN. Find information about applying for a SSN from International Student and Scholar Services. General information about Social Security numbers and cards is available at the Social Security Administration website.

Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA)

Research assistantships are generally funded by research grants. Students with a GRA perform part-time research under the direct supervision of their major adviser, committee or as recommended by the respective department. Research assistants qualify for resident tuition rates if they are enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours per semester and on payroll at .5 FTE. Visit ERGP policies for more information on GRA tuition policy.

Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA)

Teaching assistants are usually appointed by the respective department. Responsibilities include offering instructional support in undergraduate or graduate courses, grading assignments and tests, or teaching laboratory sessions. Responsibilities may vary slightly from one department to another. Teaching assistants must pass a test of spoken English if English is not their native language. Teaching assistants are eligible for a tuition waiver for the fall and spring semesters if the assistantship is for at least 16 hours (0.4 FTE).

Graduate research assistants and/or teaching assistants with a total of an 0.5 FTE appointment are eligible for the GTA/GRA student health insurance plan. Information about how to enroll for this is available on the Division of Human Resources website.

Graduate School fellowships and scholarships

The Graduate School offers scholarships to graduate students for excellence in research. Some are only available for Ph.D. students/candidates. More information can be found on the Graduate Fellowships and Scholarships page.

Travel grants

The K-State Graduate Student Council provides funds for travel to professional events such as conferences, workshops, and other domestic and international events. Information on process, eligibility, award types and criteria, and deadlines for travel awards for each month can be found on the Graduate Student Council Travel Awards page.

Engineering Graduate Student Travel Policy — Engineering graduate students seeking funding from the ERGP office must complete the ERGP travel request form available on the Graduate Student Travel Policy page. Please submit the form to 1048 Rathbone Hall with all appropriate signatures and supporting documentation.

Part-time employment opportunities

Several part-time employment opportunities are available at K-State, and in and around Manhattan. A part-time job opportunities fair is held each fall semester and features paid and volunteer positions in different organizations around town. Find more information about part-time employment opportunities on the Career Center's website.

Besides these opportunities, students are eligible to work in hourly positions. Domestic students may work on or off campus. International students are allowed to work only on campus. International students must clear their eligibility to work with the ISSS office. For more information on financial assistance, visit the Graduate Financial Assistance page.

Non-U.S. citizens and international students can find more resources on the International Student and Scholar Services website.

For specific information about assistantships and fellowships in a specific department, please contact the graduate coordinator in that department.