Next to Last Semester
Schedule a grad check
A degree audit, or graduation check, should be done the semester before graduating, NOT the graduate's final semester, and must be performed by the Assistant Dean of Student Services. This is necessary to ensure a student will meet all requirements in order to graduate at the time desired. Grad checks generally last 15 minutes.
Students may set up a graduation check appointment online, stop by Student Services in 1093 Fiedler Hall or call 785-532-5592. Grad checks begin the third week of each semester.
Apply for graduation
The graduation application must be completed in KSIS. Instructions on how to apply for graduation are available online. Applying for graduation ensures a student's name appears in the graduation ceremony program and his or her diploma is ordered.
Check DARS report
All sections of the DARS report should be OK or IP. If the DARS report has a requirement with a "NO", "negative sign (-)", or "NEEDS", the student will not be able to graduate. Flowcharts are only guides for semester enrollments, not degree audits. If there is a requirement that lists "NO", a student should meet with his or her adviser.
The following are common problems:
- A "NO" is located by the K-State 8 General Education Section Title. The "-R" will let you know which of the K-State 8 areas are NOT satisfied. Each area must be satisfied to graduate. See your adviser or visit the Student Services' office in 1093 Fielder Hall if you need help.
- Quiz out credit for Calculus I and/or Calculus II is not listed on your DARS. You must request the Math Department (Cardwell 138) issues credit for the lower level Calculus courses with the same grade, then bring the form to 1093 Fiedler Hall to be signed.
- A course with a "D" grade has not been assigned to the proper requirement. It is best to retake "D" grades, but "D" grades are allowed for some engineering students, so check with your adviser and if appropriate, have them send an email to Student Services to accept the "D" grade [Note: CE, CIS, CHE, ARE and CNSM students must earn C grades in most courses].
- Transfer course credits are missing on DARS. If the transfer credits are not listed somewhere on DARS, the K-State Admissions Office does not have your latest transcripts. Contact your previous college and request copies of your transcripts be sent directly to the Admissions Office.
- Your DARS does not list the latest requirements for the curriculum being followed by you and your adviser. Student Services has not been informed you want the latest degree requirements for your DARS. Student Services must update your DARS "Catalog Year" to the desired one.
- You and your adviser believe something is not properly recorded on your DARS. Bring a copy of your DARS report to Student Services in 1093 Fiedler Hall.
Order cap and gown
Cap and gowns, invitations, thank you notes, and rings are available to order at the K-State Campus Store in the Union.
Let family and friends know the time and place of graduation
The commencement schedule and instructions are available on the Registrar’s website.