Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Summit
Engineers as change-makers
The Multicultural Engineering Program student advisory board and the Carl R. Ice College of Engineering have partnered to host the fifth annual Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Summit, from 5-7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 9, in 1109 Engineering Hall.
Sue Barsamian '81
Sue Barsamian is a board director at three public companies (Five9, Box, NortonLifelock) and several private technology companies, leveraging 35 years of experience as an operating executive. She brings a strong business and technical background, having been a general manager, chief revenue officer and chief marketing officer. Sue has domain expertise in enterprise software, cybersecurity and cloud and has operated successfully in both early stage and Fortune 50 organizations. Her focus as a board director is on helping high-growth software/SaaS and cybersecurity companies as they scale.
With a strong commitment to STEM and diversity, Sue served as the chairman of the National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering and is a member of the board of directors for the Kansas State University Foundation.
She grew up in Wichita, Kansas, and earned her bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from K-State in 1981. She attributes her time at K-State and the mentors she met there with setting her on her path to success.
|5 p.m.||Welcome and introduction|
|5:25 p.m.||Keynote speaker, Sue Barsamian|
|5:45 p.m.||Keynote Q&A|
|6:30 p.m.||Breakout sessions|
Breakout session topics
- The need for affinity groups in professional settings
- What conversations or resources are/were offered in response to the Black Lives Matter movement?
- What conversations or resources are/were offered in response to the Stop Asian Hate movement?
- How will the workplace be implementing COVID-19 (mask, vaccination, etc.) policies moving forward?
- LGBTQ+ resources and support in the workplace
- What does allyship look like within the workplace?
- How are people with physical and cognitive disabilities supported in the workplace both professionally and socially?
- How is DEI shaping the workplace?
- How to get involved in diversity, equity and inclusion research opportunities
- Gotara.com National Mentoring Program