Robert R. and Lila L. Snell Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award
This award, established by the Snells, is awarded to a full professor with at least 15 years of experience at K-State. It is truly a career achievement award. The Honors and Awards Committee makes the selection based on the following criteria:
- Feedback from alumni (not more than four references).
- Recognized innovation in teaching.
- Course and curriculum upgrades.
- Outstanding long-term student evaluations.
- Recommendations by peers (not more than four references).
- Demonstrated participation in regional and national conferences.
Nominations are made by the department head, with supporting letters from at least two full professors, or by four full professors (at least one from another department).
David A. Pacey, MNE
This year’s recipient is David Pacey, professor, from the Alan Levin Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering.
- In 2001 Pacey was appointed as the undergraduate program director in mechanical and nuclear engineering and served in that capacity for seven years. During this time he undertook a revision of the mechanical engineering curriculum. This process and results were documented in an ASEE paper and presentation, “A Flexible and Student-Centered Mechanical Engineering Curriculum,” by David Pacey and Mo Hosni.
- He has served as the K-State Society of Automotive Engineers advisor for a number of years. During that time participation in national design competitions increased from a single SAE Mini Baja team to three teams participating in three separate competitions: SAE Mini Baja, Formula SAE and SAE Aero-Design.
Quote from student:
- “Dr. Pacey is an icon of the mechanical and nuclear engineering department. His commitment to practical academic and career advising, industry-relevant teaching, and personal connection and mentoring has fostered many successful collegiate careers, including mine.”
Bill Kuhn, ECE, 2020
Todd Easton, IMSE, 2019
Stacy L. Hutchinson, BAE, 2018
Anil Pahwa, ECE, 2017
John J. Devore, ECE, 2016
Ronaldo G. Maghirang, BAE, 2015
Mo Hosni, MNE, 2014
Hani Melhem, CE, 2013
David L. Soldan, ECE, 2012
Charles Burton, ARE/CNS, 2011
Jim Goddard, ARE/CNS, 2010
Don Lenhert, ECE, 2009
Terry Beck, MNE, 2008
Naiqian Zhang, BAE, 2007
J. Garth Thompson, MNE, 2006
Medhat M. Morcos, EECE, 2005
J. Kenneth Shultis, MNE, 2004
Richard R. Gallagher, EECE, 2003
N. Dean Eckhoff, MNE, 2002
Charles R. Bissey, ARE/CNS, 2001
Donald R. Hummels, EECE, 2000
Larry A. Glasgow, CHE, 1999
Do Sup Chung, BAE, 1998